Let us now take a look, how to generate a report using SSRS.
1) Open your Visual Studio
2) Click on File >> New >> Project
3) A Dialog Box will open from which select the Report Server option under the Business Intelligence Projects, as Shown below.
4) Now, Go to the Solution Explorer >> right click on Shared Data Sources folder and Select “Add new DataSource” >> A dialog will open where you can provide the DataSource name and connection string details.
5) Now, right click on the reports folder >> Select “add a new report” >> A Report wizard will appear
6) In the Report Wizard write your Query and View it from the Query Designer.
7) Select the View of the report and select the elements to be displayed and grouped and Click Finish. In the image below we are grouping the report based in PayFreequency column.
8) Give a Name to your Report.
9) Now, your report will be generated with the extension .rdl that can be found in under the reports folder. In the design view, we will be able to align and format the reports where as we pan preview it using the Preview Tab.